I may have mentioned this before, but I love figs. And this delicious appetizer is so sweet and savory, and I have to curb myself from making more. If you decide to substitute cream cheese, this can be made fairly quickly. Got guests coming over? This impressive snack makes a great presentation and tastes divine.
Labneh is a soft cheese made from strained yogurt. It is easy to make at home by simply adding a bit of salt and straining the excess whey with the help of a strainer and some cheesecloth or other porous fabric. If your store doesn’t carry it, and you want to use it, Amazon has it. Just click on the image.
10 minPrep Time
35 minCook Time
- 2 c. whole-fat plain yogurt
- ½ t. salt
- 8 large ripe figs, cut in half lengthwise
- 3 T. local honey, divided
- ¼ c. pistachios, chopped
- 1. To make the labneh, combine yogurt and salt in a small bowl and stir until blended. Line a metal strainer with several layers of cheesecloth and position strainer over a large, deep bowl.
- 2. Transfer yogurt mixture to the lined strainer and cover. Place in the refrigerator to drain for 1-2 days. (The longer the yogurt is strained, the firmer the labneh will become).
- 3. To prepare roasted figs, pre-heat oven to 350°F and line a large, rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper or a Silpat® baking sheet. Arrange sliced figs on baking sheet, cut side up, and drizzle with some honey.
- 4. Place baking sheet in pre-heated oven and roast for 30-35 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool for several minutes.
- 5. Top each roasted fig with a spoonful of fresh labneh and a sprinkle of chopped pistachios. Drizzle with some local honey and serve immediately. Enjoy!
Prep time doesn't include the 1-2 days to strain the yogurt.