For me, breakfast is the most difficult meal of the day. I don’t have time, nor do I want to cook before I’ve had my first cup of coffee. I will however make pancakes. I think it’s because I get my sweet fix first thing. With this recipe, sugar-free options may be substituted for the real sugar maple syrup, or you can puree berries with Stevia for a fruit topping. I usually take a half cup of berries, add a drop or two of stevia, then microwave for about 15 seconds. When the fruit is warm and mushy, I mash with a fork and stir, then pour over my pancakes.
I haven’t tried it, but you can make the batter the night before, cover in an airtight container in the fridge, so it’s ready in the morning. You can probably even make the pancakes in advance, but I’ve tried it and didn’t like them as much. Too rubbery. Not a good description for food.
If you aren’t following a keto lifestyle, add the real maple syrup and enjoy!
10 minPrep Time
20 minCook Time
- 1 large egg
- 2 egg whites
- 1½ T. pure maple syrup (sf for keto)
- 3 T. very mild olive oil
- 1 t. pure vanilla extract
- ½ c. coconut milk
- 1/3 c. coconut flour, sifted
- ½ t. baking powder
- Pinch salt
- 3 T. coconut oil, divided
- 1 large banana, sliced
- 2 c. fresh raspberries
- Real maple syrup or Sugar-free if keto
- 1.In a large mixing bowl, whisk the egg, egg whites, maple syrup, olive oil, and vanilla extract until smooth. Pour in the coconut milk and whisk to combine.
- 2.Add the sifted coconut flour, baking powder, and a small pinch of salt. Gently fold in the dry ingredients without overworking the batter.
- 3.Melt about a teaspoon of coconut oil in a large, hot non-stick skillet or griddle and pour 2-3 tablespoons of batter per pancake. Cook until the pancakes are set and the edges turn a deeper golden color, around 1-2 minutes.
- 4.Flip and cook the remaining side another 1-2 minutes, or until golden brown. Remove from heat and repeat this process with the remaining batter.
- 5.To serve, stack several pancakes and top with sliced banana, raspberries, and drizzle with real maple syrup, if desired. Enjoy!